There are many different types of transactions in ecommerce accounting including sales, discounts, refunds, fees, pending payments, gift cards, sales tax and more. You can map each of these types to an account within QuickBooks or Xero the first time you use A2X. This mapping can be used again in subsequent months or you can change it at any time. When you first set up A2X, default mapping is provided which you can follow if you prefer.
A2X offers three mapping features:
- Basic: Map transactions at the category level
- Intermediate: Map transactions at a sub-category level
- Advanced: Create product groups, add classes or tracking codes at the invoice or transaction level
How to Map your Chart of Accounts
Once you have an A2X account connected to an ecommerce platform and to QBO or Xero, you can map your chart of accounts by going to your "Accounts and Taxes" page at the top of your A2X screen.
On the left hand side of this page, you can view the main transaction types (ie: Sales, Refunds, Discounts, Tax). You will have the option to pick your preferred chart of account for each transaction type, or allow A2X to create a default account for you. If you choose to map at a more granular level, click on the orange plus signs to the right hand side of each category to view the subcategories.
Auto-mapping is enabled
A2X will auto-map the chart of account picked for the main transaction type to the subcategories. Below is an example of the Amazon Reimbursements transaction type (highlighted in yellow). This category has been expanded so you are able to view the subcategories (highlighted in green):
With auto-mapping enabled, we can map any new transaction types from your ecommerce platforms to the accounts mapped in the parent category. This is an automation feature that we recommend using. However, you can choose to map at a sub-category level if you prefer, or disable auto-mapping to have more control of your mapping at a granular level.
For more information please refer to the articles below, or if you have any questions reach out to the support team.
- Accounts and Taxes mapping for QBO Canada's Sales Tax Centre
- A2X for Amazon - Accounts Mapping
- Using A2X's Accounts and Taxes Mapping Tool
- Getting Started for Accountants and Bookkeepers
- User Permissions | Connect A2X to Amazon or Shopify for Accountants and Bookkeepers
- More FAQ's for Accountants and Bookkeepers