A2X checks every raw settlement we fetch for inconsistencies. This level of double-checking by A2X adds credibility to what we do and while it is rare, there have been cases where A2X has detected an issue within settlement accounting data that could otherwise easily go unnoticed. In these cases A2X will mark as 'Inconsistent' because there is an inconsistency within the Amazon data.
How to know a settlement is inconsistent:
And on the settlement review screen:
The issue is a result of the Amazon Raw Settlement data not balancing back to the net deposit about so it can't be reconciled (it's inconsistent). Often, just one line is missing from the raw settlement report. In recent cases we have seen the Current Reserve line or the Loan Repayment line is missing from the raw data. You can generally pick the difference on the raw report by checking it against the summary statement.
Generally, if you raise a case with the Seller Central support clearly outlining the issue they will reissue the affected settlements. Sometimes though, this is not always a super quick process. So while it isn't ideal, if you are in a situation where you need to complete your accounting Amazon have not yet reissue the affected settlements you can amend the entry in your accounting system.
Amending the journal entry will mean the supporting documents that are sent by A2X attached to the journal in the accounting system won't directly match the detail of the entry we send over. Due to this, it is recommended that you replace the amended entry in your accounting system with the corrected settlement once it is reissued by Amazon.
The following steps outline the process for amending the journal entry directly in QuickBooks:
- Send the inconsistent entry over from A2X.
- Open the journal entry in QuickBooks Online (click the magnifying glass in the top right corner and you should see the journal entry listed there in the Recent Transactions list).
- Add in the line that is missing from the raw settlement report - you can generally pick this by checking the difference amount as noted in the settlement review page in A2X, against the Summary Settlement statement in Amazon (Reports > Payments). If the line missing is the current reserve amount for example, you will assign the amount to the Amazon Reserve Balances account in the QuickBooks Online journal.
- Save the journal and you should then be able to reconcile it as normal.
- Remember to replace the journal with the corrected one once Amazon reissues the affected settlement/s.
If you have any questions regarding an inconsistent settlement, please don't hesitate to contact our support team.
Hint: If you are in chat and wish to view the article outside of the chat window, please click HERE